About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Tuesday's Tulip

Tuesday's Tulip, 2011
Original Painting: oil, alkyd on 5" x 3" linen panel
Private Collection

It seems there are a zillion different painting surfaces for an artist to work on, each with a variant of texture, weight, paint "grab" and other factors to consider. For small paintings and working en plein air, I usually choose gessoed panels or canvas panels. They are thin, strong, and lightweight in smaller sizes.

Recently I ordered some linen panels, which have a finer fabric weave and, hence, a smoother surface. I am really enjoying this new (to me) surface to paint on, especially for the small studies, like the tulip posted today, that I've been painting lately.

Thanks for taking a look. Have a great day.
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Text and image ©2011 Carol Adamec. All rights reserved.

No comments: