About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sunset #8: Eye Dazzler


Sunset Strip #8: Eye Dazzler
, 2011
Original Painting: Oil, alkyd on gessoed wood
6.5" x 2" unframed. Hanger installed on back.
SOLD


Today's post features Sunset Strip #8, hot off the easel.

Inspired by a New Mexico sunset, I subtitled the painting Eye Dazzler which refers to colorful rug designs Navajo artisans began weaving in the 1870's. The Navajo Eye Dazzler style incorporates bright colors and zigzag designs. This phase in the history of Navajo weaving is also called "Germantown", referring to the colorful synthetic dyes and yarns that came from a commercial mill in Germantown, Pennsylvania, at that time.

For me, the exciting part of working on these Sunset Series paintings is combining colors I ordinarily don't use, such as the bright turquoise, magenta, and oranges. These colors definitely have a vibration, and, in this long format, remind me of a rug, too.


Thanks for taking a moment to read this post. Have a good day.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Text and image ©2011 Carol Adamec. All rights reserved.

No comments: