About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Back in the Land of Enchantment

Black on Black, 2012
Original Painting: Oil, alkyd on panel
20" x 20"
Collection of Bernalillo County Public Art Program
I arrived Wednesday afternoon in Albuquerque after a long but pleasant drive. Although there's much to do to get ready for the "What Remains" show opening April 6 at the Harwood Art Center, I thought I'd give my dear readers another preview of work I will be exhibiting in the show.

If you are familiar with the black-on-black pottery style invented by Maria Martinez of San Ildefonso Pueblo, you will understand the inspiration for the painting posted on today's blog. The work of Maria Martinez and her husband Julian is a fascinating story that you can read about via this link: http://www.mariapottery.com/bio/bio.html

It was fun and a challenge for me to achieve in paint the matte vs. shiny surface quality of this world famous blackware pottery.

To bring out the rich black of the design I used a high gloss medium in my paint mixture, which I later painted over again with several coats of varnish to further increase the gloss. What appears as white dots was done with silver metallic pen.

Thanks for taking a look. Enjoy your weekend.
_______________________________________
Text and image ©2012 Carol L. Adamec. All rights reserved.



5 comments:

Template Design said...

Wow awesome nice work so cool..

Carol L. Adamec said...

Thank you for your enthusiasm and comments.

Lisa Rivas said...

Wonderful atmosphere... it feels like a mist of milk and ashes in the presence of twin sentinels to the Passage of The Chupaderas!

Thinking of you and wishing you the best show ever! Thank you for all that you have done for me. Hugs!

PCB Desgn said...

Nice stuff,Thanks for keeping us update...

Carol L. Adamec said...

Thank YOU! It's a pleasure to have you as a reader.