About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Sunday, October 22, 2017

A Good Time in Joplin...


I arrived in Joplin on October 10 to deliver my work for my show "In a Japanese Garden"...and they already had my name on the wall—a very nice welcome after a long drive from Albuquerque.

The Spiva opening was Friday evening, October 13. It's been 8 years since my last exhibit and visit to Joplin, so the opening was a big event and reunion for me. There was a great crowd for the Spiva Membership show in the Main Gallery and my exhibit in the Regional Gallery. I am so grateful to the many Joplin friends who came to my exhibit to say "Hello." My son, and my sister and mom sent me beautiful bouquets for the opening (Thank you, Erik, Karen and Mom), and "Congrats" arrived by text and email from friends and supporters.

There were 39 pieces in my exhibit, beautifully placed and installed by Spiva's Shaun Conroy and longtime Spiva member and supporter Cleo Copeland. Five works sold (Thank you, Jeff and Dace, Terry, Diana, and new collectors), and I received many complimentary comments on the exhibit.

On Saturday I gave a talk about my inspiration and process for creating the artwork for the exhibit. The attentive audience included several cousins, dear friends, and new friends.

I have so many to thank for their support for me and this exhibit, in particular: My cousin Judy and husband Alan, for their excellent care of my every want and need during my visit. The Spiva folks: Josie Mai, Shaun Conroy, Sarah Clements, Cleo Copeland. Jo "Da Boss" and Don, for lunch, conversation, and photos. Cousins Tracey, Steve and Marsha, for making the trip to Joplin to see me and sharing a fun lunch. My sister April and husband John for supportive texts, the lovely handmade kimono card, and generous gift. My cousin Marilyn in ABQ, for watching over my casita; and my dear friend Sondra at Marlowe Farms for taking care of Scrap.

Thank you ALL!
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Text and Image ©2017 Carol L Adamec. All rights reserved.

No comments: