About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Thursday, July 2, 2020

Finding My Joy


WIP "Kimono for Modern Girl" oil on canvas, 36x36"

Three weeks ago I thought I was nearly finished with this painting. But I HATED where it was going. I had lost my "mojo" and enthusiasm to work on it. I was stuck and unhappy.

About the same time, I came across a free 10-day, online workshop called "Find Your Joy", offered by Louise Fletcher, a contemporary English abstract painter. 

To distract myself from the stuck painting on my easel, I enrolled in her workshop, which included live conversations on Facebook and assignments she sent via email. I did them all, which made me try out different media, tools, colors, and concepts. 

It was a lot of work. And I ended up using art supplies I bought but never had used, painted with acrylics, did collage, tried out colors I would never choose, and fearlessly "played" in the studio instead of working to be "productive." 

Although I didn't experience any breakthroughs about becoming an abstract artist, Louise did drop several pearls of wisdom during her talks that got my attention:

"When you're painting, notice what you like and do more of that. 
And what you don't like, paint over it.

"When you think you've gone too far,
you may not have gone far enough."

Her free workshop wrapped up this past Monday, and I went to the studio on Tuesday, armed with her good advice, and painted over what I didn't like about "Kimono for Modern Girl" and once again reworked the drawing. The painting is not finished yet, but I am once again excited to work on it.

To Louise Fletcher: Thank you for your generosity and wisdom. You have helped me get back on track and to once again find my joy in the studio.

You can check out Louise's website and subscribe to her newsletter at https://www.louisefletcherart.com

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Text and image ©2020 Carol L. Adamec. All rights reserved.

No comments: