About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Monday, April 27, 2009

Rorschach or Lily?

Lit Up Lily (WIP)
by Carol Adamec
Original Grisaille rendered in gesso & acrylic
6" x 8"

Here's the beginning grisaille of a new flower painting that I mentioned starting last Thursday. Right now it looks like more like a Rorschach inkblot than a lily!

First I laid down a medium gray gesso over an entire canvas panel, which is labeled on the image shown. After that, I mixed up lighter grays to render the lighter values, and then applied a black acrylic for the darkest background areas and the flower center. As you can see, most of the values range towards the lighter end of the scale, since the finished painting will depict a yellow lily in bright sunlight.

It will start to look more flower-like, once the different grays are converted to color...maybe by Thursday, even!

Thanks for taking a look. Have a good week!
________________________________________________
Artwork and text ©2009 Carol L Adamec. All rights reserved.

No comments: