About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Plein Air, Day 3

WIP: The ChewChew Station
Oil, alkyd on gessoed canvas panel
6" x 8"

This was the third and final day of the Mt. Dora plein air workshop with Gregg Kreutz . And it was another hot day (around 90 degrees). I actually got sunburned!

After Gregg did an inspiring painting demo of the marina first thing in the morning, I headed back into town. Even though yesterday's train station painting didn't turn out the way I had hoped, I still had the bug to do the old train car. Next to the train car, there's a modest diner called, The Chew Chew Express, which hosts a casual outdoor patio. The umbrella tables in bright morning sun in front of the old train car caught my eye.

I remember attending an artist talk by photographer Sandy Skoglund, who discussed how the background of an image lets the viewer know where they are. I was sure to paint in a few palm trees amidst the greenery, since this is Florida I am painting!

I have a few more touch ups on this painting, and it's done. Thanks for taking a look and following along with my plein air workshop this week.

See you next week!
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Text and image ©2010 Carol Adamec. All rights reserved.

No comments: