|Tucumcari Tepee, 2017, archival digital print by Sondra Diepen, 40"x27"|
Todays' sneak peak is a photograph by Sondra of a curio shop still in operation in Tucumcari, New Mexico, located 42 miles west of the Texas border. Here's what Sondra has to say about her photo:
"TePee Curios was built in 1944, owned by Leland Haynes. It began as a Gulf Station as well as a grocery and curio shop. In 1959 Route 66 was widened through town and the gas pumps had to be removed. The concrete tepee was added to the front, becoming the new entrance to the shop.
"The TePee Curios sign was put in place during the 1960’s. In 2003 the New Mexico Route 66 Neon Sign Restoration Project chose this sign, along with eight other vintage signs, to be restored and lit to recreate the lore of the Mother Road."
"Curios and souvenirs are still sold here. It’s a ‘must stop’ place for today’s Route 66 explorers, where they can buy remembrances of The Road’s past glory.
©2017 Carol L Adamec. All rights reserved.
Image "Tucumcari Tepee" and quotes by Sondra Diepen used with permission.