About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Art Making in the Digital Age


Kathryn's Chair, 2006.

Original oil, alkyd on canvas available for purchase.
Available as a LE giclée on canvas or
open edition Art Print.
Contact Artist for purchase info
_____________________________________________

It's fascinating to me to see how artists work — which resources, methods, and tools they employ to create their paintings.

As a realist painter, I rely on quick "idea" sketches, photographs, digital images, pictures in art books, and "Googled" resources for visualizing objects and pulling together ideas for paintings.

My digital camera is my new sketchbook for creating preparatory "drawings," since I can shoot several photographs and then edit, enhance, and manipulate the pictures in PhotoShop until I get the composition I want. Other times, I'll print out several copies of a photo to cut and paste the various elements by hand to create a composite collage of the painting to-be.

If the painting will be small, I make an inkjet print to work from. If the painting will be large, I use Kinko's services to have an enlarged black and white printout made to transfer the image to canvas. In the studio, I can display the photo on my laptop computer to check on colors and to zoom in for details.

However, as the painting nears completion, I end up using the tried-and-true "traditional" tools of art — memory, imagination, intuition, and the experience of painting.

"Kathryn's Chair" was painted in 2006 using the tools and methods described above. Measuring 22" x 20" the painting is rendered in oil and alkyd on stretched canvas.

Thanks for looking. Your questions and comments are welcome.

See you Friday!
____________________________________________________
"Kathryn's Chair" 2006
• Limited Edition giclée on stretched canvas: Price upon request.
• Open Edition Art Print: $24 (unframed)
on ETSY: www.caroladamec.etsy.com
For additional information, contact the Artist:
CAdamec@juno.com
____________________________________________________
Images and artwork ©Carol L Adamec. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

Lisa Rivas said...

I had no idea you went through that many processes for your beautiful paintings. Very fascinating...
Best regards, Lisa