About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Exhibit Glimpse 3...and more

Joanne Kamiya
"Spirit of New Forest" (detail)
Original archival digital print
24" x 14" • $375 + S&H


Joanne Kamiya is another California artist who contributed work to the "Be Leaf It or Not" exhibit. Her work is photography based, often multi-layered and digitally manipulated.

With her deep reverence for natural beauty found in primeval forests of the world, Joanne is drawn to the spirit of places that have a powerful earth presence. For Joanne, experiencing "wild Nature’s energy" is the lifeblood of her creative process.

The image featured in today's post, Spirit of New Forest, is one of my favorites created by Joanne. As she explains, "New Forest of southern England is an ancient forest that has existed since before it was made into a royal hunting preserve by William the Conqueror. Today it encompasses many acres of mostly deciduous woodland, with a number of villages incorporated within its boundaries. Special to the New Forest are the New Forest Ponies. For hundreds of years this has been their domain, where they roam freely, unfenced and protected." I think her image captures the mythic power and mysterious quiet of the great forests which sustains so many of Earth's creatures.

Thanks for taking a moment to read this entry. If you would like to leave a comment about Joanne's work, please do so by clicking the COMMENTS link below. Or you can email me and I'll forward it to Joanne.

Meanwhile, back in my studio, I am preparing for the Harwood Art Center's Open Studio night, happening this Friday, October 3, from 6–8pm...not painting, but unpacking, hanging, pricing, and labeling artwork. There's much to do! For those readers in the Albuquerque area, I'd love for you to drop by my studio (upstairs, #S-2) that evening. The event is open to the public and free of charge.

To all of my Readers....I'll have a post ready for you on Friday. Have a wonderful day.

Image © Joanne Kamiya. Text ©Carol Adamec 2008. All rights reserved.

No comments: