About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Monday, June 8, 2009

Success en plein air

Cottonwood Reflections
Original oil, alkyd on canvas panel
7" x 5"
SOLD

When I go out to paint, I usually prefer a sunny day....better to capture distinct lights and darks/sunlight and shadow. Saturday began as an overcast day with thick clouds overhead. Oh, well, as a plein air painter, you go anyway. That's part of the challenge, to see if you can get a decent painting out of whatever weather and natural elements are available on a given day.

Sandia Lakes is just a few miles north from where I live. I met my friend Carmen there and we drove around to select a spot with a good view. Because of the clouds, the great view of the Sandia Mountains was pretty hazy. So I picked a closer view of old cottonwood trees reflected in one of the man-made lakes. The issue was to keep the colors subtle yet interesting.

Fortunately I had brought a panel toned with a thin wash of burnt sienna, so I allowed that color to show through in places, providing a warm "highlight" here and there. After a couple of hours, the painting, as seen here, was done. I was happy with it ...a success en plein air for me!

Thanks for taking a look today. See you Thursday.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Text and image ©2009 Carol Adamec. All rights reserved.

No comments: