About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Just Before Sundown...

Plein Air Landscape Sketch #3,  2013. Original oil on gessoed panel, 4"x6"

Just a short drive from the house (I often ride my bike to this location) is a great view of the Sandia Mountains. So around 5pm on September 25, I jumped in the car with my plein air gear, drove to this location, set up and began painting the view.

"Sandia" in Spanish means "watermelon", which is similar to the deep pink color the granite rock of the Sandia Mountains turns as the sun begins to set. I was waiting for the mountains to take on that rosy glow so I could capture that rich color in my painting; and I was not disappointed.

Amazingly, as the sun began to head below the horizon, a purple shadow crept along the landscape toward the mountain. Within a minute or two, it reached the foothills, ran up the mountain side, and engulfed the entire mountain range in darkness. Quite a transformation!

Thank you for taking a moment to view my blog. I hope you are enjoying a wonderful day.
____________________________________
Image & text ©Carol L Adamec, 2013

No comments: