About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Colorful Crotons




"On Stage" 2008

8" x 10" unframed
Original,
oil on canvas panel
Contact Artist to purchase
.
_____________________________________________

My brother-in-law John is an artist and quite the gardener. With a good eye for color, texture, and design, he has created wonderful flower beds around the house, full of very attractive plantings of all kinds. When I am looking for something to take to the studio to paint, I often pinch off a few leaves or clip a few blossoms for the day's studio session.

After doing a few "tonal" paintings recently (Dry Shell; Black Purse, Red Lipstick), I was ready for some color work. These croton leaves were the perfect subject matter for some bright color work. Instead of placing the leaves in a vase, I stood them up and illuminated them with overhead "high noon" lighting. Hence, the title, "On Stage."

Crotons are tropical plants and come in several varieties, dazzling colors, and multiple patterns. There are even a couple with artistic names: The Mona Lisa and The Picasso. You can see several varieties on the Croton Society of Tampa webpage: www.crotons.org.

Crotons are also hearty. Unlike the little one-day rose I showed you Monday, these leaves held up for three days... good for artists like me who take a bit longer to get it on the canvas.

Many thanks for taking the time to look at my artwork and read this post. You are welcome to forward this blog to others, too. Please, do leave a comment!

I hope your week is going well. See you Friday.
_________________________________________
Text, image, and painting ©Carol L Adamec. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

Lisa Rivas said...

Stunning leaves!
I like your title: "On Stage"
There is an award for you on my blog... Have a great day!