About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday's "Balanced Universe"

Cosmos in Sunlight
by Carol Adamec
Original painting: Oil, alkyd on stretched canvas
6" x 6"
SOLD


To see a World in a grain of sand
And a Heaven in a wildflower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand.
And Eternity in an hour.

from "Auguries of Innocence" by William Blake

My mother is a Midwest farm girl who can nurture a dead stick into a mighty oak tree. She always had lovely, blossoming flowers around our house, in every season but the cold, snowy winters of Chicago.

I guess it's one of those genetic things that evidently skips a generation. Thus, my gardening skills are not my strong suit. Usually I choose hardy cacti and the ever-forgiving peace lily for my houseplants. However, I do believe I may plant some cosmos seeds outside my door.

According to various gardening websites, the colorful varieties of cosmos thrive in hot, dry climates and produce more flowers if underwatered. Now this is my kind of plant! And perfect for Albuquerque, too. Cosmos are related to sunflowers, daisies, and asters. Having an even number of petals around a yellow center, the cosmos received its name meaning "balanced universe." I like that concept, too.

In the meantime, I'm posting this 6"x6" oil painting on canvas, Cosmos in Sunlight, to start off the week. I usually don't choose a palette of pinks and lavenders to paint with, as I think of those hues being "softer" or more subtle. However, it seems this painting comes across as a pretty strong image.

I hope your universe stays in balance this week. See you Thursday.
__________________________________________
Artwork and text ©2009 Carol L Adamec. All rights reserved.

No comments: