About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Monday, May 25, 2009

Plein Air rough

Piedras Marcadas (WIP)
Oil, alkyd on gessoed panel
6"x8"

A few months ago I joined the Plein Air Painters of New Mexico. Due to schedule conflicts I hadn't been out to paint with the group yet....until today. Since I hadn't done plein air since living in Florida, I was really looking forward to this session, since it was clear, cool, and quite pleasant this morning.

I spent part of yesterday setting up my plein air paint box and priming a few 6x8 panels to paint on. So this morning when I left the house at 8am, I thought I was all set to paint. The location was on the westside of Albuquerque, an undeveloped open space, called Piedras Marcadas, meaning "marked rocks", because of the petroglyphs in the area.

I hiked around, lugging all my painting gear, and found a shaded spot with a nice view. While setting up my palette, I discovered that I had forgotten my white paint, a huge deficit when working with a limited palette of 5 or six colors. Darn! Not wanting to completely give up on this opportunity, I worked up a tonal rendering of the scene, concentrating on the composition and lights and darks.

Fortunately I did remember my camera. So this rough start will be completed in the studio.

Enjoy the short work week! See you Thursday.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Text and image ©2009 Carol Adamec. All rights reserved.

No comments: