About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Monday, May 18, 2009

NM Morada revisited

New Mexico Morada (WIP)
Oil, alkyd on canvas panel
9.25" x 8"

This painting has been sitting on a shelf in my studio since I last posted it back on March 9. It didn't quite work, so I've been just looking at it to determine what needed to be done.

The first change was to alter the 10" x 8" format. By chopping off three-quarters of an inch of the foreground, I think the church seems to "sit" better in the composition.. The new size is 9.25 x 8".

The whites were too cream-colored, so they've been lightened and cooled. I put more background space around the morada building and enhanced the distant landscape, adding some clouds along the horizon to relate the sky to the foreground cross and church.

I'm still not completely certain that the painting is finished, but this is where it's "at" for now.

Have a good Monday. See you Thursday.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Text and image ©2009 Carol Adamec. All rights reserved.

No comments: