About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

"TOO MUCH ART" Sale: Day 1

Here are the first two paintings offered to those who signed up for my "TOO MUCH ART" sale.

 
SOLD "Moon and Morada" 
  Original painting, oil on art board, 16.5 x 17.5” framed.  Price: $100

      

Moon and Morada was completed in 1995. I had just moved to New Mexico the year before and began the challenge of painting Southwest landscape imagery while becoming acquainted with the culture of my new home state. 

Traveling down random roads on weekend drives, I came across small, rustic adobe churches in outlying villages scattered across the State. These little churches had been hand built by the Penitentes, a lay Catholic brotherhood of local religious believers, and had survived hundreds of years in the dry New Mexico climate.

I found these structures to be fascinating, even mysterious, especially depicted nestled in a surrounding mountain scape, bathed in moonlight.


       Silk Seeds, original painting, oil on cradled panel, 

                7” x 5”, unframed.  Price $20.

                                            

I did this painting while living in Florida for a few years.

Unlike the Southwest landscape, Florida has a plethora of green vegetation—a good place for an artist to develop one’s skill in mixing a variety of green hues. These seed pods are from the mimosa tree also called the silk tree, which is native to the Middle East and Asia.

I love the mimosa’s fern-like leaves and the bright pink flowers; and the seed pods I painted here in oil on a cradled panel.

No comments: