About The Artist

My photo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Hello! I am a fine arts painter, with a BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. My primary painting medium is oil and alkyd, and mostly I work in a representational style. My greatest challenge as a painter is to capture the effect of light; and my greatest joy as a painter is to accomplish that. Many thanks to those readers who have been following this blog since Day 1 (May 19, 2008). To those who are visiting for the first time today...Welcome, and thanks for dropping by!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Long View

Landscape Sketch #8 (San Antonio Oxbow),  2013.
Original oil on gessoed panel, 4"x6"
(NFS: Artist's Collection)

Besides meeting very nice artists to share an outdoor painting session, the great thing about being in a plein air group is that you get to paint in places that you might never discover on your own. That was the case when I painted with the Monday Painters about a month ago. 

We gathered around 4:30 in the afternoon on the west side of the Rio Grande River on a sandy cliff. Spread out before us was an incredible long view looking to the east. The San Antonio Oxbow is directly below the cliff, and extends to the bosque, speckled with old cottonwoods in various stages of green-to-yellow color changes. 

Beyond that are the treetops of Albuquerque's neighborhoods sloping up to the Sandia Mountains, that were just starting to take on a pink blush of the coming sunset.The light and air were perfectly clear. 

With the sun warm on our backs, we all painted away for the next two hours, enjoying this unique view. A truly fabulous day for plein air painting, and I was pleased with the painting I completed, too.

Thanks for taking a moment to visit my blog. I hope you enjoyed this post. Have a great day.
____________________________________
Image & text ©Carol L Adamec, 2013

No comments: